1. Decide what you want to learn about
A good project starts with good essential questions. Essential questions are not easily solved or answered, and they are questions you are really curious about. They should also address and authentic, "real world" concern. Good essential questions make a project intriguing and complex. Typically, a project has three to five essential questions. No matter the quantity, make sure your questions are high quality because they are the foundation of your project.
Sample Essential Questions
Here are some essential questions used in real projects by PKS students. These questions do a great job laying the foundation for a project. They are not easily answered, address an authentic concern, and are things the students were really curious about.
- How do I become a published author?
- Why do wars start?
- How do I design and sew a dress?
- Does free speech mean you can say anything?
- How do I learn to dance?
- What is the cultural significance of The Beatles?
- Are aliens real?
- How do I become famous on the Internet?
- How do I learn sign language?
- Why is Greek and Roman Mythology important today?
- Who spends more: Democrats or Republicans?
- How do I design and build a kitchen?
- How can somebody cope with anxiety?
- Is the world really going to end in 2012?
- What goes on at a farm?